Skip to main content

Learning Curve: Bent DPNs for Sock Knitting

Note: This piece was first published in Fall 2016. It was originally a "donation" (i.e. I wasn't compensated to write it) for an e-magazine that is no longer available. Since I really like this piece and I didn't grant exclusive rights, I want to finally share it with my readers. Also, I was asked SO many questions about these bent DPNs when I was using them last year! Perhaps it's a little belated, but I hope this answers everyone's questions about these interesting needles.

ASKallthesocks

I've been knitting socks on DPNs for over ten years. For much of that time, my preference was one-at-a-time, top down projects, although I did dabble here and there with toe-up, two-at-a-time, and magic loop. Those experiments never really stuck, as I was always drawn back to the tried and true. I’m sure I’m not the only knitter who feels this way!

It wasn’t till recently that I’ve felt the need to step out of my comfort zone once more: last year, I decided to give two-at-a-time socks another try (top down, of course…I’m not willing to go THAT far) using some very long fixed circular needles via magic loop. Why the change? The idea of finishing the pair at the same time without having worry if they matched was alluring. Also, not having to worry about losing a DPN while knitting on my the go, never to see it again, was another plus. I’ve lost a lot of DPNs on trains and buses over the years; though DPNs are my first love, I'm definitely starting to make friends with magic loop.

One of my slow burning sock projects this year was inspired by last year's Scoreboard KAL with the Knit Purl Hunter: I am knitting my husband a pair of socks to commemorate the winning 2015 Royals baseball season by assigning colors to home and away wins and losses to create a striped pattern. Second sock syndrome isn't something I'm usually afflicted with, but I was pretty sure that I'd knit the first sock and never start the second because I was totally daunted by having to repeat the strip sequence perfectly. Two-at-a-time just seemed like a no-brainer.

When I was at H+H Cologne earlier this year* (an international trade show for the craft and hobby industry) as part of my day job with Stitchcraft Marketing, I came across bent DPNs by Neko Knit. I was intrigued by them: there were only three in the package, and I had a hard time envisioning how to use these boomerang-shaped needles. Luckily, a very tall German woman gave me a live demo on the show floor, and I purchased two sets to try out in the name of science. When I’m using them, they seem to pique the curiosity of my fellow knitters, and I am often asked what I think of them.

IMG_4540

Here’s what I've concluded while knitting my first sock project on them:

  • They're basically a hybrid of magic loop and DPNs - you work each half of the sock on one DPN, as you would magic looping, but you slide the stitches and knit as though they are regular DPNs.
  • I find them a little awkward to use, most likely because I am so used to regular DPNs and magic looping. One side of the curved DPN is often flopping about and occasionally gets in my way. I assume this subsides with practice!
  • A plus is that it is much easier to join in the round without twisting using the bent DPNs than the other two needle types, at least in my opinion.
  • The plastic is quite flexible and though I don't consider myself a rough knitter, I'm pretty worried about snapping them as I work.

Ultimately, I don’t think I am ready to make the switch to using bent DPNs exclusively, but they are a fun and novel way to shake things up if you find yourself in a sock knitting rut. You can check out their website for more info; I haven’t spotted the needles at very many yarn shops in the US, but I did happen to stumble upon them recently at Maker’s Mercantile.

*March 2016

Comments

  1. DPNs are my favorite needles for socks too. I have a set of the bent DPNs and found them to be quite fun but slow going. Also, I had unsightly ladders that I couldn't get rid of no matter how much I tugged on the yarn. Maybe I'll give them another try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b