Skip to main content

Spinning Gearbox: Schacht Ladybug Wheel

I love everything about my Ladybug, right down to the bright red drive wheel and the teeny tiny ladybug that cheers me on as I spin (it's located in a unique place for each wheel)! It's modern-looking, well-constructed and easy to use with minimal upkeep required. It's a fantastic wheel for folks who are new to wheel spinning, and it will still be your go-to wheel once you level up to intermediate or even experienced!

When my wheel arrived on my doorstep a few years ago (from The Woolery, if you're wondering), there was minimal set-up and I was up and spinning! The standard wheel comes with a regular flyer assembly, 3 bobbins, a fast whorl and a medium whorl, and a threading hook. It features Scotch tension and double drive options.
Image © Schacht
While many wheels require frequent maintenance, the Ladybug wheel was designed to require very little. Each time I sit down to spin, I only have to add a few drops of oil to the flyer shaft - the spinning wheel hub and drive wheel were designed specifically not to require oiling. There is a short maintenance list in the instructions which I do a couple of times of year and my wheel is still in tip-top shape!

It has built-in handles in a couple of different locations, for "easy travel," although I personally don't see myself taking my Ladybug outside of the house. According to the Schacht website, the wheel itself weighs 13.5 pounds, which is certainly on the lighter end of the spectrum, but I still feel like the size and weight preclude it from being considered a "travel" wheel for me personally. I really can't see myself schlepping it on the bus or train, but if I had a car, this would probably be a different conversation right now!


I have been able to spin pretty much any type of yarn or fiber I've wanted to on this wheel; admittedly, I tend to only want to spin thin singles (not laceweight thin, more like sock weight thin) to ply into a worsted or bulky 2- or 3-ply yarn. I haven't explored too far outside of those realms just yet, but I've seen a lot of spinners on Instagram and elsewhere who have been able to spin some very interesting yarns on their Ladybugs, so I feel comfortable saying that it's a pretty versatile little wheel for the price.
Add-on: Bulky Flyer Package.
There are additional Schacht products you can add to your wheel; recently, I added the Ladybug Bulky Flyer to mine! It comes with a special flyer that has a 7/8" orifice, a special front maiden, and a bulky bobbin. The set-up would have been easy, except for one thing: the whorls I had for my wheel didn't fit onto the Bulky flyer! Turns out this is an issue that happens fairly frequently in the line, and I had two options: I could either file down the center of one of my whorls myself, or I can send the whole shebang to Schacht so that they could fit the whorl onto the flyer for me.

Photo © The Woolery
I went with the first option, since I was dying to ply one my my projects into one mega-skein of yarn using my new set-up. I went to Home Depot to find a file that was small enough to fit inside the Whole (and in the process, I was reminded of why I hate going to Home Depot), and then I came home and set to work. It took about 20 minutes, and I did manage to stab myself in the hand somewhere along the way, but the whorl does fit and I have been happily using the Bulky Flyer ever since.

One more separate accessory that I don't have is the Tensioned Lazy Kate which actually attaches to the wheel. It's certainly affordable ($39 at the Woolery), but I find myself wondering how user-friendly it is since I prefer to position my lazy kate to the right of my wheel, just behind where I'm sitting. I think getting used to a totally different position would throw me off, and I also wonder if chain plying would even be possible. If anyone has this add-on for their Ladybug wheel, I would really love to hear your thoughts!

You might like to know: I wrote this review at the request of one of my readers who wanted to know more about my spinning wheels; I have no affiliations with Schacht, thought I do have a working relationship with the Woolery. 

Comments

  1. I've been wondering if I want to upgrade to a different wheel (I currently have a PVC Babe). Lots of people seem to have a Ladybug and I've been curious if it it's a good wheel to grow with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b