Skip to main content

Review: Folk Socks - Updated Edition

Let me preface this blog post by stating that, on the whole, I am perturbed by the majority of reissues and updated editions of books and albums. They irritate my frugal sensibilities - whether it's intended or not, the consumer has to purchase a copy of something they already own if they want access to the shiny new bells and whistles. This can be a double-edged sword for completists like myself (and my husband, an incurable vinyl nerd - but that's another story entirely): while it's frustrating to buy something you already own, it can be quite edifying to watch the bonus DVD that is included with the reissue, or hear the two new tracks, or knit the new pattern....you get the idea.

Reissues in the world of music definitely have more of a money-grubbiness feeling (at least to me), the likes of which I haven't seen here in the knitting world. However, there is one knitting book that has been plaguing me for quite some time: the updated edition of Nancy Bush's Folk Socks. I have a very well-worn, well-loved copy in my library, and I was a little dismayed when I saw a new edition come out in 2011. I knew that, eventually, I'd be buying this book again because I love Nancy Bush's sock patterns and books! Knitting on the Road is the first sock book I ever purchased, and it remains one of my favorites today.

Fast forward to present day, when I was browsing the Interweave Sidewalk Sale (happening now through June 26) and finally caved in; apparently, a price point of less than $10 is enough to sway me to the other side!

To judge the book solely on first impressions, it's much thicker, clocking in at 147 pages (as compared to the original edition's 117). The cover design and book layout is a lot more striking and colorful, with updated projects images and new detail shots.

The updated layout is not only fresher, it's easier to follow and read; the previous edition has a lot of dense text and very little graphic or other elements. A good example of this is in the pattern instructions - elements such as "Leg" and Foot" are in a noticeably larger font, and cues such as "Row 1" or "Joining Round" are written in burgundy. As a result, it's a lot easier to navigate the pattern instructions.

Patterns that were originally knit with yarns that have since been discontinued have been updated and re-knit, which is a nice touch.  I was hoping there were a few new patterns, too, but it looks like the only pattern lineup changes are subbing in the Estonian Crossroads Socks for the Greek Socks.

If you're buying this book for the first time, it's worth adding to your library at any price point. If you already bought the original edition, snap up an updated version for $7.49 while the Sidewalk Sale is still happening!

Now that the sidewalk sale is done, may I recommend purchasing your own updated copy of Folk Socks on Amazon?

You may like to know: I purchased my own copy of this book and just wanted to share my thoughts for anyone who was curious about the differences between the two editions! This review was not solicited by Interweave. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b