Skip to main content

Addicted to Kickstarter!

Ever since I pledged my first project on Kickstarter to help The Wool Dispensary get started, I've been hungry to find and fund more interesting projects via the site. Late last year, my band successfully raised funds to release the first two 7" vinyl singles in a 4-single series, so I know how hard people have to work to meet their funding goals - it's definitely not easy!

Last year, I funded a project by my poster-making friends Nick and Nadine of Sonnenzimmer to help them create and print a book of their work. It just arrived in the mail at the beginning of this month; it's so exciting to physically hold the finished product in your hands and know that you played a small part in that object becoming a reality. Last year, I also funded a local brewing start-up (which culminated in a beertastic brewery tour right before Christmas), a graphic novel called the Intrepid Girlbot, and a gorgeous quarterly magazine for crafty folk by Susan Gibbs and Jeannie Bloch called By Hand

I swear I'm not saying all of this to brag on myself, but merely so you can see the wide range of projects that are on Kickstarter! I know there has been some negative press surrounding projects that meet funding and fail to produce the thing they are raising funds for, but so far I have been lucky in that every project I've pledged has a) reached their funding goal b) fulfilled their rewards and c) successfully completed their project or launched their company. 

So I am very excited to share the three projects I have pledged my support to this month - I hope you'll consider making a pledge! 

1. 18th Street Brewery (Funding closes February 4)

I found out about this project while touring the Begyle brewery here in town last month. They still have a ways to go to reach their goal, but I hope they make it, since this will be the first Brewery to call Gary, IN home. Even though I'll probably never make it down to that neck of the woods, it sounds like they'll be making some really stellar beers. There's only one way to find out, though!

2. Handspun Single Sheep Breed Yarns (Funding closes February 10)

I randomly came across this project yesterday when searching for other knitting- and crochet-related projects to fund. Naturally, I found it intriguing: luxury hand spun yarns from single-breed fibers? Count me in! The rewards options are really awesome; for $15, I'll be receiving a 2 oz. skein of 100% Shetland handspun yarn. There are tons more options, too - some of the sampler packs were mighty tempting. Aside from the great rewards, there aren't many breed-specific yarns out there outside of the typical Merino & BFL fare. While I love both of those breeds dearly, I think it's great that other breeds will be made available to those who don't spin (though I highly recommend giving spinning a try!).

3. Straker Classics Online Catalogue (Funding closes February 28)

My company (The Wool Wide Web) has been working with Penny Straker, who has been a knitwear designer since the 1960's, to update her website and preserve this piece of knitting history. The next phase of our efforts involve the digitizing of her patterns to make them available as PDF's for sale online. These patterns are unique because they are well-written, straightforward, and accurate. No shortcuts to save space here! Additionally, they are written for weights of yarn, not specific brand names, so any appropriate yarn that tests to required gauge can be used in the project. I've long been a collector of vintage knitting patterns (which are often very poorly written), so these patterns are the best of both worlds - vintage designs to knit with modern yarns! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b