Skip to main content

Craftsy Class Review! Crochet: Beyond Rectangles

I was excited to sign up for Crochet: Beyond Rectangles with Linda Permann so that I could build upon my crochet skills gleaned from Vicki Howell's Crochet Lab and Stacey Trock's Woodland Animals. Now that I've become comfortable with the basics, I'm ready to take things to the next level. Crochet: Beyond Rectangles uses an easy-to-make baby sweater to help students learn how to shape, sew, and read patterns and crochet charts. All of these skills apply to any garment, but the smaller scale of a baby sweater is the perfect way to move beyond scarves and other beginner-type projects without becoming overwhelmed.

This project-based class features 12 video lessons in all. I found the pattern reading section to be quite helpful, as it covered written instructions, abbreviations, stitch diagrams and how to use schematics. For those that are new to the world of yarn, the lesson on choosing yarn and gauge swatching will help you on your way - not only will Linda give you the scoop on the various yarn weights, she'll also show you each type of yarn up-close and personal. My ears certainly perked up once she began to talk about gauge, so if you feel compelled to skip the beginning part of the lesson which reviews the various types of yarn, be sure you don't miss out on the second half. I guarantee you'll learn something new!

The bonus crochet refresher clocks in at just under 40 minutes and covers everything you'll need to brush up on to successfully make this project: how to hold your yarn and hook, chaining, single and double crochet, half double crochet, and finally, working in the round.

Once you've made all of your preparations, it's time to get hooking. The next four lessons will walk students through each piece, covering essential topics such as starting a foundation chain, working evenly while stitching, increasing, decreasing and how to create a neat fabric edge by using a linked stitch as you work. She also demonstrates how to weave in the yarn ends as you join a new ball of yarn, which is a nifty time-saving trick!

In the three remaining lessons, Linda demonstrates how to block each piece to make seaming a breeze later on. Students will also learn her technique to weave in yarn ends invisibly, which is something I've been struggling with in my finished crochet projects. The sewing section was another lesson I paid particular attention to, as I always feel like my finishing skills are lacking. Linda makes everything look so easy, so I'm looking forward to finishing my project and applying what I've learned while viewing this lesson! The course ends with a lesson on edgings and buttons, followed immediately by a short bonus lesson showing how to use surface slipstitch to personalize your project.

Throughout each video lesson, Linda is knowledgeable and engaging, sharing interesting facts, sage advice, personal stories and other helpful tidbits. In addition to the comprehensive video lessons, you'll also have access to the course materials, which are basically the cliff's notes you'll need to jog your memory if you're working on your project while on-the-go. As always, the Craftsy platform provides students with 24/7 access to the video lessons, the ability to interact with the instructor and fellow students by posting questions along the way, and bookmarking information you want to access easily later on with video notes. This is my favorite way to learn at my own pace with one-on-one instruction that is comprehensive, well-edited and the next best thing to taking a class in person!

Ready to take your crochet skills to the next level? Click here to sign up for Crochet: Beyond Rectangles with Linda Permann!

You should also check out Linda's Blog, which is full of awesome crochet inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b