Skip to main content

randomness - not just knitting

it's crunch time - i just realized i have less than a week before i leave town for the holidays, and of course, not enough time to accomplish all that i need to do before that happens.  i'm sure 99% of the population is in the same boat (or a similar one) as i am right now.  at any rate, here's a summary of what's been shaking this past week:

1.  shalloboi played our holiday show at martyr's on monday.  this is the first time merilee has played cello with us, and we didn't have a whole lot of prep time beforehand - everyone's schedule has been understandably crazy this month, so we really only had one full-band practice prior to the show.  and yet, it went really well - perhaps better than if we were feeling well-rehearsed - sometimes a little fear is good for you.  check out this video clip and judge for yourself!

2.  robin is doing well - he has to get fluids every day now, but he's still fighting the good fight.  he's even mildly tolerating the taking of pills - i suspect the mild resistance i've been getting is just for show.  i might be deluding myself, though!  tilly is also doing well - she doesn't seem to begrudge robin the extra attention he's been getting - though she does try to eat his special food when i'm not looking.  better that than the other way around! 

3.  caitlin knit a beautiful scarf for me for my birthday, and i just have to share a photo because it's really amazing.  yes...i am apparently still milking the never-ending birthday.  i'm going for the record.  i have no idea what pattern this is, or what yarn she used - will try to find out and post later.  all i know is, if i tried to knit this for myself, it wouldn't turn out nearly this good.  love, love, love it. 

4.  the malabrigo book 3 is coming!  i know i've been saying this every other week, and that's really not news.  but  a preview has just been posted on their website - check it out, it's pretty cool!  my designs are the ostrich toy, the felted handbag, and orange ribby socks.  yet another reason to look forward to 2011. 

5.  cooking up a new sock pattern - will be submitting it to the twist collective for fall 2011.  if they don't take it, i'll most likely be self-publishing.  it's actually something i've been gestating for a while (ie, til i had the time to devote to it - and now that all of the holiday knitting is done, there is no time like the present!).  i'm also starting to get my design to-do list in order for next year.  there's a lot of things in the hopper, and i'm chomping at the bit to get cracking!  now that i know how to better arrange my time for an entire year, i anticipate things being less haphazard on my end.  it may not seem like that to anyone else - also, i doubt anyone else is paying attention and cares - but i like to use all of my time efficiently, and i prefer to plan ahead so that there isn't a mad rush to get things done.  for example, i start my holiday knitting in july.  i might be starting in january this year, since i'll probably spend the summer working on design proposals for fall and winter, if this year is any indication. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy DIY: Beaded Vintage Snowflake Ornament Kits from Solid Oak Inc.

I was really excited to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new as part of my "Christmas in July" theme this month. The kind folks at Solid Oak Inc offered me a chance to review one of their Nostalgic Christmas beaded crystal ornament kits I couldn't resist. My tree is already full of ornaments I've inherited or been gifted from other family members and friends,  so these pretty crystal beaded ornaments will fit right in I think! I was super impressed with  this compact little kit , which includes everything needed to create three gorgeous vintage-style ornaments - just add a pair of round nose pliers (I found mine on Amazon for less than ten bucks).  The instructions had some fabulous tips for newbies like me; for example, it recommended sorting the beads and laying them out in order on a towel or beading mat to prevent them from rolling away. That may seem obvious, but I was totally ready to start beading on my kitchen table without a

What If I Didn't Add Heels?

Last weekend, I finished the first sock with my Waterlilies yarn , and just for yuks, I tried it on even though it was basically just a tube sock. Much to my surprise, it fit really well, even without a heel. Who knew? So, that got me thinking: what if I just didn't add the heels?  I never thought a tube sock would actually fit nicely, but I genuinely like the fit, so...why spend time to add the heels? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... Let's say I decide not to add heels once the second sock is done - there will still be placeholder yarn for the afterthought heels, as you can see above, so should I leave it in and just weave in the ends? Or should I remove it, put the live stitches back on needles and at least graft them together using more of the Waterlilies yarn? I plan on mulling all of this over as I knit the second sock, and I'd love to hear your opinions of what you think would look best (or if you think this whole "n

Overdyeing A Finished Knit

Even after just a few years of knitting or crocheting, you're bound to have some finished projects lying around that never get worn or used. After 10+ years of crafting, I have more than just "some" or "a few"....and with my ongoing quest to declutter my house this year, I've become obsessed with going through these forlorn projects and making some Big Decisions. Sometimes, they are perfectly fine and just need a new and loving home. Other projects may have not turned out quite right: there might have been some mistakes in the knitting that I thought I could live with, or the yarn was gorgeous but not well-matched to the pattern, or my  taste has drastically changed since I finished making the project...in any case, why on earth did I keep knitting?! Who knows, but I don't feel good about gifting anything that falls into this category to someone else. These projects have been relegated to the "frog pile" (or should I say, frog pond?), to b